Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 2

Wake up delightfully to Bohemian Rhapsody, then reluctantly get ready, donning our team T-shirts.

When we got to the campus, we were proud of our impeccable audience behavior and lack of obnoxiousness, whereas many of the other schools didn't. Personally, I wanted to join in with Arizona, but whatever.

When the assembly ended, we (Olivia and I) couldn't find our school. We happened to be with Matt, Andrew, and Seth. And we were lost. Again. I don't know how, but it was my fault. I just know it was.

When everyone turned there phones back on, we were able to find a quite irritated Miss Mecham at the fountain, where she reprimanded for not meeting at the appointed place, and therefore, we were stuck in our group of 5 for the rest of that day until the Ensemble scene performed. I still feel the shame burning in my cheeks.

I was quite down, but things turned up in the Improv Workshop, where I learned to always say yes! (Unless no is required for the sake of creativity) As you can see, Eric, the instructor, is my new hero.

Although in the 'What's in the box' excersize, we were meant to find someone we didn't previously know. Olivia cheated. She found Max. Gr. But I explored new ideas I didn't know I could create. So HA!

The next workshop was Stage Combat. Easily my favorite one, though mainly because they didn't have an accent's one. Anyhow, we learned how to punch, slap, choke, and pull hair without actually punching, slapping, choking, or pulling hair. One of the instructors was a big black man named Allem and possibly the coolest guy I've ever met. I quite enjoyed our violent skit he let us perform. Eric stood beside us while we practiced our moves and gave us advice. At the time, the thoughts in my head where along the lines of, Speak, wise one, though later, he apologized to us if we felt like he was intruding on our experience and complimented our performance.

After, being quite sweaty, we retreated to the bathroom, ditching our bodyguards at the door. Then we fled to the High Schools' Choral Performance, which was quite beautiful. Before hand Olivia conducted an experiment on how easily girls could open her wallet, to how fast a boy could figure it out. Needless to say, the girls won. Tsk tsk boys.

Then to the Student Center, where our high school friends got heavenly white hot chocolate and we got lunch at Outtakes, a yummy mini-grocery store. But we had to eat outside of the store while we waited for our guards because the line was ridiculously long. Then we head back for the Ensemble to practice before performing for reals. I bonded with Miss Schow over peanut butter M&M's. She's lovely.

They did wonderfully on their scene of course. And beforehand we called Emilee and told her we loved her, we missed her terribly, and I was bringing her back a taco. Emilee, I owe you a trip to Del Taco!

After returning to the hotel, Talia, Olivia, and myself traveled to Subway, then walked back to the room and ate in comfort while speaking of Nate's beard. Talia and I rushed downstairs to get our information and costume for our rounds the next day. Then we reloaded the bus and went back to campus to have Fred Adams speak personally to Pleasant Grove. I sat with my new senior friends and enjoyed myself thoroughly.

To put it simply: I was hanging on his every word. A genius stood before me, but for those of you who don't know who he is, he is the founder of the Utah Shakespearean Festival. And quite and inspiring director.

We then loaded the bus and went back to the hotel. And despite our fervent promises to not speak a word in the hotel room so we could go to bed on time, we found ourselves gossiping and giggling, as girls so often do. But we were asleep before eleven.Does that count for anything?

I leave you with a puppy.

No comments: