Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oh, Manti, I have never loved you before

The Manti pageant was always a fun thing for mutual but i have never loved it more.

You know those Anti-LDS protesters that are always out there?
I've never actually been confronted by one before yesterday, and frankly I was grateful.

I thought the experience would be similar to going to an asylum on friday the 13th.

But as my dear sister and I went in search of a bathroom, we were stopped by two girls our age and were asked if we were keeping our covenants.
We said yes and the most satisfying conversation of my life ensued.

Being born in the LDS church has given me advantages and struggles. I'm grateful to have had this knowledge my whole life but for a long time I've wondered if my testimony was really my own or something that my parents spoon-fed me.

But I was able to talk to them!
I was sure in my words and the feeling of sharing what I know is with people who are not of my faith is indescribable!

Many take their testimony for granted when they live in such a LDS community and I feel as if my eyes have been opened.

After our encounter with these girls and their more aggressive friend, we ate some dinner and went back to our seats and I bonded with my leader by asking some of their questions and feeling stronger than ever.

I know it wasn't your goal, but...
Thank you for making me stronger.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

eep. I love this!

Kristine said...

Mary! You are awesome. You are an example to all. I haven't dealt with that kind of experience before - and I hope when I do, I feel the way you feel after. Good job!

Amanda said...

You mean the Jam out session and Brian Reagan wasn't what did it for ya? :) I'm glad that you had that experience! Don't ever forget it! Love ya!